For Teachers and Schools
“Every child deserves a champion: an adult who will never give up on them, who understand the power of connection and insists they become the best they can possibly be.” – Rita Pearson, educator
Outside the Square is designed to be completed as three short 60-90 minutes professional learning sessions.
To assist with the implementation of professional development sessions, please click on the links below for suggestions for focus questions and certificates of completion.
Focus Questions for Teacher Professional Development
Focus Questions for Film 1 – Understanding and Identifying Dyslexia – recommended viewing for ALL teachers.
Focus Questions for Film 2 – Targeted Teaching for Students with Dyslexia – recommended viewing for ALL teachers.
Focus Questions for Film 3 – The Explicit Teaching of Language and Literacy – recommended viewing for primary school teachers, specialist literacy teachers and learning support teachers.
Certificates for School Professional Development Sessions
The certificates can be signed by school executives or the designated person responsible for professional learning. The films are designed to also be conducted an either teacher initiated or school based professional development sessions and are aligned with AITSL Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST).
Outside the Square includes the following standards for continuing professional development.
Professional Knowledge: Know students and how they learn
- 1.2 Understand how students learn
- 1.5 Differentiate teaching to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities
- 1.6 Strategies to support full participation of students with disability
Professional Knowledge: Know the content and how to teach it
- 2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area
- 2.5 Literacy Strategies
Professional Practice: Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- 3.3 Use teaching strategies
- 3.4 Select and use resources
- 3.5 Use effective classroom communication
- 3.6 Evaluate and improve teaching programs
Professional Practice: Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- 4.1 Support student participation
- 4.2 Manage classroom activities
Professional Practice: Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
- 5.1 Assess student learning
- 5.2 Provide feedback to students on their learning